Wednesday, January 09, 2013

A Tom Gauld Original For Christmas

Tom Gauld's been a big comics influence for me for ages now, so I was Well Pleased when Hannah bought me one of his originals for Christmas. Here it is:


Tom Gauld does jokes better than most people. It's a type of quiet, understated satire which is about a million miles from the boysy showing off of satirical panel shows or whatever. I don't think I've ever seen him draw a politician, for instance, and yet his comics get at the ideas behind things in a sort of roundabout way which seems a bit more fundamental and incisive than just slagging someone off. He makes jokes about the ideas people have about the world, and where they backfire on us. Like a sort of comics Adam Curtis, if Adam Curtis stopped worrying about politics and just drew some aliens. 

Now to find a nice frame for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ρrеtty seсtion of contеnt.
I just stumbled upοn your weblog and іn aссeѕsion сарital
to assеrt that І get actuаlly enjoyeԁ accοunt yοur
blog postѕ. Any way I will be subѕcгibing to youг
augment anԁ evеn I аchiеvemеnt you aсcess conѕistеntlу rаpidly.


Alѕo visit my web sіte asker oyunları

Ramonita said...

This is fantastic!